Tuesday 15 January 2013

The Hobbit

Before I start I should admit to something.

Prior to this Christmas I would read the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and the Dune series over the Christmas break.

This would be one of the few times I would actually read  fiction. ( I love non-fiction mostly).

I didn't continue the tradition this year because I couldn't get into the Hobbit and I found the Dune prequels better than the actual series.

I went to watch the Hobbit yesterday with my two sons or I should say I was shanghaied by them to watch it.
We went to the 4.15 session at Top Ryde. (At best 10 people watched it.)
It is a very enjoyable film.
It is not however very accurate to the book. It is like Peter Jackson has taken a lot of the LOTR films and tried to incorporate it into the Hobbit.

In doing so he has made the Hobbit very much more interesting.

It is the first of three films about the hobbit. It finishes where the troop escape from the trees.

Possibly the most interesting acting came from the person portraying Thorin. He is actor who starred in the UK mini-series North South. The only problem is that he didn't look like a dwarf.

The other major acting performance comes from the person who stars as Doctor Watson in the current series Sherlock. He is Bilbo Baggins.

I found it interesting that I was very picky about the film LOTR being accurate to the book but I was pleasantly surprised that the Hobbit wasn't.  Can't work this out.

All in all I can thoroughly recommend going to see the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment